Occasionally, after transportation companies have checked the weight and measurements of the goods received at their warehouses, they may notice differences between the declared value of the shipment and its true value.
Sometimes this happens because the parcel is bigger or heavier than what was declared when contracting the service and it may require special handling. It’s also possible that the weight and total measurements, including the packaging, were not taken into account when you finalised the order.
The prices offered by Packlink are calculated according to the information you provide us during the purchasing flow; therefore, it’s very important that you verify that they’re correct before completing the transaction. If the true values of the package are higher than what you have declared, the price of the service must be adjusted. As a result, you’ll receive an additional charge once the extra cost has been established.
Please note that some transportation companies withhold the goods and do not send them to their destination until Packlink authorises it. However, most carriers collect and transport the goods regardless of the contracted information, and afterwards they invoice Packlink with the service based on the weight/dimensions audited by their scanner during transit. For this reason, when they submit the invoice to us and there is a discrepancy in weight/dimensions, we send you a notification via email and a charge to your account is applied (the maximum term for us to apply this charge is 1 year from when the order was finalised on our platform).
Each carrier calculate the volumetric weight in a different way to set their rates, especially in case parcels are transported by plane. You always need to take into account the highest value between the real weight and the volumetric weight.
Here below you can find the most common additional charges:
- Discrepancies in the declared weight/dimensions - This is the most common additional charge, applicable when the weight or the measurements of the goods are higher than those declared during the purchasing flow.
- Special handling/collection/delivery - This charge is applied when it requires special handling due to the weight/volume or packaging of the goods. For example, if a lorry with a trapdoor is required to unload the goods or if a helper for the driver is required.
- The goods that have been withheld for these reasons will be delivered late as they require additional management.
- Packlink may charge a handling fee for all shipments with declared weight or measurements that are less than those audited by the contracted carrier (min £ 1). The surcharge (extra payment) will be 15% of the rate charged for weight or volume mismatch for amounts less than £ 20 and 20% for amounts over £ 20. This surcharge will apply in addition to any additional transportation charges that may be applicable. Example: you declare a weight of 5 kg, while the carrier detects 8 kg.
Tips to avoid additional charges
The most effective way to avoid possible additional charges is by declaring the correct information during the purchase process. So please follow the instructions below:
- Weigh the package with a scale and measure it using valid instruments (already packed).
- Indicate the weight (in kilos) and the real measurements (in centimetres) of the package and before completing the order verify that all data is correct.
- Take photographs of the package/s already packed showing the weight on a scale, the measurements (height, length and width) and the carrier's label. Keep the photos. You may need them in the event of a complaint.
How to make claim for the additional charge
If you’ve received an additional charge due to difference in weight and you think it’s incorrect, check your email account (both inbox and spam folders) and reply to our message, providing pictures of each parcel with the whole packaging, where it's clearly visible:
- The carrier's label.
- Width, length and height of the parcel (you can use a ruler or a meter).
- The weight of the parcel placed over a scale.
Our Customer Support agents will check the information provided and will reply to your email as soon as possible to find a solution.